Many households and businesses are still utilizing hard water unknowing of the cost implications. Water softeners remove certain ions in water that cause water to be hard. These ions that cause water to be hard include calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese. The metal ions in water form a deposit when used for a long time, on metal pipes, metal boilers, bathtubs, kettles, and other house appliances. This build-up of metal ion deposits on appliances can cause destruction. The ion deposits also hinder soaps from being used well by forming insoluble salts. These insoluble salts are the ones that form soap scum in water.
Furthermore, they can cause clogging of water pipes and sewerage systems. Water softeners came about to alleviate the problems caused by hard water. Water softeners remove metal ions in hard water by forming soluble salts. There are two types of water softeners. These are salt water softeners and salt-free water softeners. Currently, the most commonly used water softeners are salt-free softeners.
Benefits of Water Softeners
The benefits of soft water include:
- Hard Water with soap causes a scum which can be undesirable while taking a bath. Soft water uses less soap and shampoo.
- In clothing, hard water uses more detergent to wash than in soft water. Hard water cause fibers in fabrics to break hence clothes don’t last longer than when soft water is used in washing.
- Soft water makes it easier for cleaning of bathtubs, showers, and sinks. This reduces the cost of cleaning and time in cleaning. Furthermore, the glassware and silverware remain sparkling when soft water is used.
- Soft water ensures you appliances have a longer working life. These appliances include water heaters, washing machines, and dishwashers among others. The appliances will be devoid of metal ion deposits hence function for longer.
- Use of soft water reduces water heating which is bound to save on energy by up to 20%.
- Soft water ensures minimal clogs and corrosion in pipes hence the low cost of maintenance and replacements.
Customers have seen a reduction in utility bills. The costs of various maintenance and repairs have gone down compared to homes that don’t use water softeners. To test the hardness or softness of the water, one can use a water softener kit that will give results on how hard the water is. Furthermore, a simple test of using soap can be used in cases where the kit is unavailable. Some little soap is put in bottle half filled with water and shaken to check soap lather formation. Soft water forms more lather than hard water.
Popular Products in Amazon
Based on Water Softener reviews and ratings, there are three most popular brands of water softener on Amazon. The three have diverse specifications depending on the customers’ needs. The following have received high customer ratings and reviews.
1. Eddy Electronic Descaler
This water softener is the easiest to install and costs less compared to salt water softeners. It produces electromagnetic waves from coils placed from incoming water pipes. It doesn’t alter the mineral composition of water for health benefits. It just prevents the effects of metal ion deposits. Furthermore, it comes with a lifetime repair and replacement guarantee. It’s best to try and experience the positive effects of water softeners.
2. Nuvo H2O Home Complete Salt-Free Water Softening System
This water softener uses the latest technology of pH changes in water softening. It is suited for large homes or businesses. The water from the system can be used to do anything including drinking. This softener keeps the metal ions in water soluble, hence no change in the composition of water. It uses no salt, no magnets, and above all no electricity. Don’t underestimate its size; you might be surprised at its capabilities. It comes with a lifetime warranty. This is an appliance that shows experienced craftsmanship.
3. Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener
Fleck 5600SXT water softener removes calcium and magnesium ions that cause hard water using the ion exchange process. It also uses a meter based regeneration process which means that the water you use is measured and the system only regenerates when it needs to. Among the three, this water softener clearly got the best reviews in performance and customer service. Fleck takes pride in the quality of its product and service.
Advice on Buying
Water softeners are becoming a necessity in many homes and businesses. No matter the type of water softener, salt-free is the best. At Amazon, check out for the coupons and great hourly discounts. Furthermore, free shipping is a plus, apart from the money back guarantee.
To avoid the hassle that comes with a salt water softener, buy a salt-free water softener. When the cost of utility bills, maintenance and repairs goes down, you will have a lot to smile about. Try a water softener, and the only thing you will regret is why you never bought it earlier.